Do you have any passion fruit wasting away in your fridge? I’ve discovered scrumptious way to utilize these tantalizing tropical fruits.
All you’ve got to do is put your apron on and start whisking away. The best part is that this recipe requires only one bowl and a joyful spin.
So what’s inside this divine dessert?
Each slice of this bread is bursting with the nutritious goodness of passion fruit and coconut . I topped it off with a white chocolate drizzle to add a sweet twist to this beloved recipe.
What Can You Expect?
- Simple and quick recipe.
- Low calorie dessert.
- No refined sugar.
Baking Tips to Make Homemade Passion Fruit Loaf Cake
Here are a few hacks to create this terrific loaf:
- Use a kitchen scale and correctly calibrated measuring cups for consistent results.
- Mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately reduces the risk of getting a lumpy batter. It also helps you avoid overbeating the batter.
- I use refined coconut oil instead of taking the conventional shortening route with hydrogenated oil. That is because coconut oil is tasteless and manages to create the same consistency (at 68° F). Plus, it is a healthier alternative to shortening oil.
- Overmixing the batter causes the batter causes excessive gluten formation that changes the texture of your baked goods. Keep the mixing to a minimum (i.e. until the ingredients are combined) to avoid chewy and dense cake.
Healthy Substitutes: Homemade Passion Fruit Loaf Cake
- Ditch your calorie-filled refined sugar with mildly sweet and healthier cane sugar. I use ½ compared to the typical amount to strike the perfect balance between sweetness, calories, and nutrition.
- Use refined coconut oil to keep the cake moist instead of some hydrogenated version.
- This cake taste incredible with Passion Fruit, but any other fresh fruit shall do if you want something different. My favorite substitutes include blueberries, strawberries or mangos. You can also opt for a combination of fruits for more flavor.
Yay or Nay? Comment below.Print
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- ¾ cup cane sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup passion fruit pulp
- 2 tbsp passion fruit flakes
WHITE CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- 200 g white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp passion fruit flakes
- Pulp and seeds of 3 passion fruits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare your loaf pan by greasing it with coconut oil.
- Sift and whisk your dry ingredients (i.e. flour, baking powder and salt) in a medium bowl.
- Use a large bowl to beat the wet ingredients (i.e. coconut yogurt, eggs, passion fruit pulp, passion fruit flakes and oil) + sugar). Mix until you get a smooth batter.*
- Gradually start adding the dry batter to the wet one and fold it in to combine them properly. Avoid over mixing to retain its consistency.**
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Pop the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Take it out of the oven once done and let it cool inside the pan for approximately 10 minutes.
- Transfer the loaf to a wiring rack to cool completely.
- To make the white chocolate drizzle, heat the chocolate, passion fruit and passion fruit flakes a in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Allow the white chocolate to melt and stir together.
- Drizzle the white chocolate mixture over the cake and allow to set slightly before slicing and serving.
* Let all the wet ingredients reach room temperature before mixing them.
**The batter should not be stirred more than 15-20 times as overmixing it makes the tarts too chewy/tough.
Keywords: Passion fruit loaf cake, passion fruit cake, white chocolate loaf cake, passion frui coconut loaf cake, loaf cake, healthy passion fruit cake