Criss-cross, who’s the baking boss?
(Sheepishly presents yet another lattice cookie recipe).
Christmas is the only time Ronnie doesn’t remind me about his diet when I serve baked goods over the weekend. Even then, I can’t help but keep things on the healthier side.
This year, we’re swapping iced gingerbread cookies for these delicious criss-cross goodies. I can guarantee they’re equally tasty and naturally nutritious with a secret filling sandwiched between them.
So what’s inside these cute cookies?
My melt-in-your-mouth gingerbread cookies feature a subtle hint of spices and a creamy honey filling that oozes out of the lattice. It’s a perfectly healthy, low-calorie combo that tastes heavenly.
Feel free to experiment with new filling flavors and cookie shapes when you try my recipe.Print
- Prep Time: 20 MINUTES
- Cook Time: 10 MINUTES
- Total Time: 30 MINUTES
- Yield: 15 COOKIES (APPROX.- VARIES BASED ON SIZE AND SHAPE OF COOKIE CUTTER(S) USED 1x
- 4–5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup plant-based butter softened slightly but still cool
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- Any flavor of jam/honey, for filling
- Prep baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 375℉.
- Use a large mixing bowl to mix butter and brown sugar. Cream until the mixture is smooth.
- Scrape all sides of the bowl before mixing in molasses and eggs. Beat eggs until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Chuck in the remaining ingredients (except flour). Mix on medium speed until incorporated.
- Add ⅔ of the flour. Mix, scrape dough and then add the remaining flour. Your cookie dough might appear crumbly and dry initially, but mixing flour in intervals shall help it come together.
- Stop mixing when the cookie dough forms into a ball and doesn’t stick on the sides of your bowl. (Add some more flour if the dough seems sticky).
- Dust your countertop with flour before rolling out your dough to ½” thickness. Use a knife to cut dough into ¼” strips for the lattice.
- Place the baking sheet on the countertop. Then place half of the strips vertically side by side and the remaining strips aside.
- Lift the leftmost strip and fold it back onto itself halfway.*
- Place one of the remaining dough strips across the vertical strips, leaving enough gap for the filling to ooze out of your lattice. Bring the folded strips back down to lay over the horizontal strip.
- Repeat steps 9-10 to form the complete lattice by adding a new horizontal strip in the second step.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the latticed dough.
- Carefully shift filled cookies to prepared baking sheets
- Bake until cooked. (10-14 mins)
- Create cookie sandwiches by filling cranberry honey between two cookies.
Ta-Da! Make your cookies extra festive by sprinkling in some icing sugar and cranberries on top.
(Watch the tutorial for more clarity).
Keywords: Gingerbread Cookies, Lattice cookies, Gingerbread Lattice Cookies, Crisscross Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Cookies,