It feels a lot like Christmas as I double-up my baking activities.
Every home baker knows that the festive season gives us the perfect chance to showcase our skills. That’s why I’m always motivated to weave in extra twists into my Christmas creations. – yes, pun intended!
I spend most weekends with my oven mitts on—whisking batter, adjusting ingredients, and tasting test batches. Like a mad scientist on the brink of an invention, Ronnie finds me exclaiming in delight (and sometimes horror) depending on my progress.
My latest rendition resulted in a breakthrough with these tasty treats.
What’s inside these cute cookies?
These crumbly cookies feature a lovely heart-shaped lattice with an ombre effect that gives simple sable cookies a dramatic flair. My nutritious twists with plant-powered ingredients increase the health factor without compromising the comforting flavors of childhood associated with these baked goods.Print
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 MINUTES
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 cups pastry flour
- ⅓ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp pink salt
- ½ cup plant-based butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp beetroot powder (for the light pink hue)
- 2 tsp beetroot powder (for the dark pink hue)
- Divide all the cookie dough ingredients into equal halves.
- Mix first dry batch with 1 tsp of beetroot powder. And the other batch with 2 tsp of beetroot powder.
- Chuck batch 1 into the food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture reaches a sand-like texture.
- Add half of the egg into the mixture. Continue pulsing till the breadcrumbs turn into a doughy ball.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with Batch 2 (aka the dark pink dough).
- Mold your cookie doughs into balls. Plastic wrap each batch and refrigerate. (15 mins)
- Roll each cookie dough between parchment paper for extra smoothness.
- Cut the rolled-out dough into 4×4” squares. Cut the colored discs into strips (thickness= ¼-½”). Remember to leave ¼ “ space within the dough before you start cutting the strips.
- Place the dark pink strips on one side and the light pink ones on the other, with the strips pointing upwards. Create a two-toned lattice by laying the dark pink strip over the light pink square.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to mold your criss-cross discs. Pull odd the extra dough from the sides and continue creating heart-shaped cookies.
- Pop them in the freezer. (15 mins)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Bake (20-25 mins)
Keywords: Lattice cookies, Beetroot cookies, Cookies, Criss-Cross cookies, Christmas Cookies, Beet Cookies, Sable Cookies, French Sable Cookies, Heart Cookies