Sweet & Tangy Vegan Lemon-Raspberry BarsIs it just me or is yellow a delicously bright and cheery color?
I can never get tired of lemon desserts. They prove to be a delightful fusion of zesty citrus flavors with a burst of sweetness. They also manage to bring in all the pomp and flair on the table spread despite being a standalone recipe.
As a child, I grew up devoring my mother’s homemade lemon cake. This recipe is a tribute to her humble offerings, with a healthy, Joycified twist!
What’s inside this sweet treat?
My lovely lemon cake is a celebration of the golden summer days and carefree childhood. Each bite takes you on a rollercoaster ride of creamy cheese frosting that enhances the tanginess of my fresh lemons. Then there is the sweet comfort of this fluffy cake that ties everything together.
What Can You Expect?
- Easy recipe
- No refined sugar
Baking Tips to Make Your Sublime Homemade Lemon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Baking the perfect lemon cake is easy. All you need to do is follow my lead and make smart choices in the kitchen.
Here are a few tricks that might help you master the art of baking:
- Use a sieve or strainer to sift your flour before making the batter. It aerates the flour and breaks the lump formed during storage. Both factors help you achieve a fluffier cake.
- You can bake the cake layers the night before to save time. Store them in an airtight container and place them at room temperature to minimize the risk of moisture formation.
- Always use fresh lemon juice and zest to retain the bright, tangy taste of your cake. The trick is to make the zest before slicing and juicing your lemon.
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature to avoid inconsistencies.
- Trim your cake tops and edges with a sharp serrated knife once they are completely cool. Your cake layer should be flat and even. Otherwise, the layered cake would be wobbly and unstable.
- Make sure your cake is cool before frosting it. If you don’t wait, your frosting will end up being runny and messy.
You can freeze your cake by baking them a few days in advance. Wrap them properly in a plastic wrap or cling film before storing them in a freezer. Then thaw them when you need to frost the cake.
How to Decorate Your Luscious Lemon Cake?
Lemon cakes serve as a canvas for extravagant food styling and frosting. It leaves much scope for imagination, making it an ideal choice for parties. If you want to spruce this cake, I have a few tricks and tips up my sleeve.
- Ice the cake with cream cheese frosting to enjoy the sweet and tangy goodness of this delightful cream.
- If you want to go for an over-the-top look, lemon curd tourbillion is the way to go. It gives the cake a dramatic spiral illusion. Plus, using lemon curd helps you pack in an extra citrusy punch.
- Sprinkle in some edible flowers as a finishing touch. It is an excellent way to create a springtime scene through your picturesque presentation.
Voila! I went overboard and included all three of these special styling techniques for my extravagant cake. You can use any of these combos or serve a simple, naked cake for a minimalistic look.
Healthy Substitutes: Homemade Lemon Cake with Cheese Frosting
I always slip in something nutritious when I fiddle with my recipes.
Here is how you can amp the nutrient quotient of this sublime dessert:
- Use cane sugar instead of refined sugar to keep the calorie count at a lower end. I use half the required amount of cane sugar to balance the sweetness and increase the health factor.
- Cheese cream frosting serves as a low-ca, lighter, and healthier alternative to traditional buttercream. It is supremely delicious too.
- You can brighten up your cake by adding 1 tsp (or a pinch) of turmeric into the batter. The aromatic spice gives your dessert a terrific tinted yellow color, along with providing you with an extra dose of natural antioxidants.
Prepare to taste sunshine and lemons when you bake this gorgeous lemon cake with cheese frosting. Then show off your creations on Instagram, adding #joyfulhomecooking when you post a picture.
P.S: Want more lemony zing in your life? These are my favorite lemon recipes to brighten your day.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (I used ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted plant-based butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup almond milk mixed with 2 ½ tsp lemon white vinegar (buttermilk)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Pinch of turmeric (optional)
- 1 block cream cheese for frosting (mixed with lemon zest)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Prepare two 6″ diameter cake pans by greasing them with non-stick spray.
- Line the pans with parchment paper (cut into circles).*
- Make your buttermilk and set it aside to thicken.
- Sift and add the dry ingredients (i.e. cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) into a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Whisk in softened butter to create a wet sand-like mixture before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Next, add the eggs and beat them at medium speed. You may use a stand mixer or electric beater for this step and the ones that follow.
- Remember to stop and scrape the mixture, which sticks on the sides with a silicone spatula to prevent inconsistencies.
- Pour the buttermilk, fresh lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat the batter at medium-high speed for 1-1 ½ minute.
- Divide the batter equally between your prepared pans. Tap the pans on the counter to ensure that the batter is leveled before placing them inside the oven. **
- Bake your cakes for 20-25 minutes (or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean)
- Let your cake cool inside the pan before placing it on a wire rack.
- When the cake is properly cooled, place the first layer upside-down on a serving plate. Frost the cake and then place the second layer. ***
- Continue frosting the cake with a beautiful pattern.
- Top it with a lemon curd tourbillion to elevate your presentation.
- Decorate it with cream cheese frosting and edible flowers to complete the look.
*Adding parchment paper ensures that the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
**Distribute the batter evenly to prevent an unevenly baked cake.
*** Make sure your cream cheese is not overbeaten. Otherwise, it will become runny.
Keywords: homemade lemon cake