The festive season makes me giddy with excitement because it’s the perfect excuse to go on another baking adventure.
So whether you’re counting down days to Thanksgiving or enjoying seasonal fruits, you’ve got to try these tasty treats.
It’s a cutesy take on traditional tarts with apple-shaped cookie cutters. Not only are they easy-to-bake, but they have a depth of flavor you’ll enjoy.
What’s inside this delicious dessert?
These homemade tarts are the perfect rendition of traditional and healthy comfort. Most of the ingredients are plant-based to amp the nutrient quotient.
Each bite of this delightful treat will leave your taste buds tingly with its buttery, nutty crust that encases a zesty caramelized apple filling. Add cranberries to complete the look.Print
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes + 30 minutes (CHILL TIME)
- Total Time: 3 HOURS
- Yield: 8 Mini Tarts 1x
- 2 cups pastry flour
- ⅓ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp pink salt
- ½ cup plant-based butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 2 whole apples (chopped into cubes)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chuck all the dry ingredients and butter into a food processor. Pulse until the mixture forms a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add the egg into the tart mix.
- Pulse until you get a doughy ball. Mold pastry dough into a disc shape before wrapping it with cling film. (15 mins)
- Roll pastry between 2 parchment papers until it’s paper-thin.
- Cut out 8 mini tarts with an apple-shaped cookie cutter.
- Scoop and spread your homemade apple filling into your mini tarts.
- Gently brush the ends with egg yolk.
- Roll scraps left from the cookie cutter and slice them into thin strips.
- Form the lattice by placing the strips into a crisscross pattern on top of your mini apple tarts.
- Seal off your tarts by gently pressing the lattice onto the base.
- Pop pastry in the freezer to set. (15 mins)
- Preheat oven to 160° C.
- Brush tarts with egg wash.
- Bake till tart cooks through and turns golden brown. (20-25 mins)
- Mix and toss cubed apples with sugar, spices, and lemon juice. Ensure they are evenly coated for extra flavor.
- Melt butter in a large skillet at medium-high heat. Add seasoned apples and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Let the mixture simmer before covering up the skillet. (2 mins)
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and let apples cook until they soften. (7 mins)
- Strain mixture to collect the juice in a separate bowl. Shake the colander to collect all the juices.
- Pour the juice into the skillet and let it caramelize and thicken over medium heat. ( 8-10 mins)
- Mix caramelized filling with cooked apples.
- Set aside to cool.
- Fill your tarts.
The recipe makes a lot of filling. You can freeze the leftovers for another day and use them to make a quick batch of mini pies later.
Keywords: Lattice-Top Apple Pie, Lattice Apple Pie, Apple Lattice Tart, Lattice Crust Apple Pie, Lattice Pie Crust, Apple Tart, Mini Apple Pies, Mini Apple Hand Pies, Homemade Apple Pie, Apple Lattice Pie, Apple Pie Cookies