“When practiced to its fullest, mindful eating turns a simple meal into a spiritual experience…”
Thich Nhat Hanh
Despite our different religious beliefs, many of us are taught to maintain mindful eating habits. The significance of this teaching multiplies when you’re fasting for extended periods.
These thoughts struck me when I was researching food ideas for my Ramadan series.
After your overwhelming response to the Turkish delights, I decided to serve up another tea-riffic treat. Choosing matcha was a no-brainer. Not only is this superfood healthy, but it’s known for meditative merits.
Best of all, I have a quick cookie recipe waiting for experimentation.
What’s inside my calming tart-like cookies?
My crisscross matcha cookies require essential pantry ingredients, some tablespoons of tea powder, and a dash of sparkly sugar. They’re stuffed with cranberry jam to enhance their flavor profile. Plus, I think it adds a festive taste to this sweet endeavor.
Feel free to use rose jam/fruity jam for your baked goods.Print
- Prep Time: 20 MINS
- Cook Time: 22 MINS + 1 HOUR
- Total Time: 1 HOUR 42 MINS
- Yield: 20 1x
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plant- based butter, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsps. matcha
- ½ cup cane sugar
- Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut butter into small cubes.
- Make a dry batter with flour, matcha and salt. Whisk to aerate and combine.
- Beat butter in an electric mixer until creamy. (Approx. 3 mins)
- Mix in remaining ingredients, adding 1/3 of dry batter at a time.
- Whisk until combined.
- Scrape down excess batter from the sides.
- You should get a crumbly cookie mix that sticks together when you press it.
- Use your hands to form a cookie dough ball.
- Place dough between two sheets of lightly floured parchment.*
- Roll out the dough. (Ideal thickness: ¼”)
- Slice dough in half.
- Use a cookie cutter and place cutouts on the prepped baking sheet.
- Place cookies 1” apart.
- Refrigerate for an hour/overnight.
- Preheat oven 325°F.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until the cookies are set.**
- Baked cookies will be dry and firm when touched.
- Let them cool inside the baking sheet before transferring to wire racks.
- Fill with jam before serving.***
*Make sure the cut cookies are even to maintain a consistent look.
**Baked cookies have firm edges and a set center with no crumbly/soft bits.
***Team your tart-like matcha cookies with my nutritiously cranberry jam recipe used for this bread.
Keywords: Matcha shortbread cookies, matcha cookies, vegan matcha cookies, vegan cookies, shortbread cookies, cranberry jam, healthy cranberry jam