‘Tis the season for strawberries!
These tiny, juicy red fruits are one of the best things about the spring and summer seasons.
While you can enjoy them in a variety of ways, nothing beats the joy of gulping down a slice of a heavenly strawberry cake.
I’ve had a strawberry cake on my summer “to-bake” list for years. I wanted to come up with something that had all the flavors of strawberry cake stacked high in gorgeous layers – just a little healthier.
And I’m glad to finally announce that…
I MADE THE PERFECT NO-SUGAR STRAWBERRY SPONGE CAKE!
The star of this recipe is honey! As you know, I don’t like to use too much sugar in my recipes. So, for this strawberry sponge cake, I omitted the sugar in the cake batter because nothing beats the natural sweetness of strawberries and honey.
This cake has three light sponge buttery layers filled with vegan whipped cream. For the topping, I used strawberries and a drizzle of strawberry honey from Ascania. This 100% pure, natural bee honey is free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
How many of you remember when I used Ascania honey’s ginger and lemongrass flavors in a previous recipe? This time around, I’m using the strawberry flavor.
This Ascania honey enhances the strawberry flavor in the cake and is a healthy alternative to other sweeteners.
Everyone loves a strawberry sponge cake recipe, and this one is a real beauty! As soon as I took a bite, I cut a couple of giant slices for my neighbors. Otherwise, Ronnie and I would’ve gobbled down the entire cake in one go. It was THAT tasty!
I’m sure this cake will make an appearance in my home again very soon. I urge you to try it too. Packed with fresh strawberries and layers of whipped cream, it is sure to impress anyone you serve it to!
PS: I’ll be sharing more recipes using Ascania honey in different flavors, as I clearly can’t get enough of it. Also, it makes the food taste yummier and healthier.Print
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + 10 minutes (Assembling time)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 115 g flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 115 g butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 15 g almond milk
- Vegan whipped cream (can be replaced with regular whipped cream)
- 100 g fresh strawberries
- 2–3 tbsp @ascaniauae honey in strawberry flavor
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Prep three round cake tins/baking pans. Grease them with butter and line the pans.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the flour and milk.
- Divide the mixture between the three tins.
- Bake for 15-20 mins (or wait until it passes the toothpick test).
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the filling.
- Whip the cream till quite stiff, mix in the icing sugar .
- Assemble the cake by placing the bottom layer on top of a parchment strip to prevent messiness.
- Use an offset spatula to spread whipped cream over the bottom layer. Add the strawberries on top of the cream. Then spread on the strawberry honey.
- Place the second sponge on top and repeat the process – finish with the third sponge and decorate with berries.
Keywords: Strawberry cake, Fraisier, strawberry sponge cake, victorian sponge cake, sponge cake, victorian strawberry cake, victorian strawberry sponge cake