When you think of berries, your mind automatically conjures an image of vibrant strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, each with a distinct color and flavor.
Mine did too, until I encountered their quirky cousin——pineberry!
Living in Dubai has taught me to expect the unexpected in the fruit aisle. We get an assorted variety of exotic fruits from all around the world each year. The pineberries, though, took me by surprise because of their white and red polka-dotted flesh.
After a few seconds of contemplation, I decided to be adventurous and bring these berries home.
It only took me a few bites to fall in love with my fruity friends. They taste like a mix between pineapples and strawberries with a subtle hint of citrus in there. I wanted these natural flavors to shine.
Hence, I came up with a simple, no-fuss recipe that gave them the star treatment they deserve.
Best of all, you can whip it up in 30 minutes without breaking a sweat. That makes it the perfect choice for a summer dessert.
So what’s inside this tasty tart?
An all-vegan crust cradles my creamy custard filling. I opted for a vanilla flavor to balance off the tangy-tarty taste of pineberries. The inclusion of vegan butter makes my dessert creamier and healthier than its store-bought counterparts. Adding to this are a handful of berry varieties that bring a pop of color to this terrific treat.Print
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 ¼ cup GF flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- A pinch of pink salt
- 1 ½ cups canned coconut cream, thick part only
- 1 ¼ cups soy milk
- ½ cup corn starch
- ⅓ cup cane sugar, or maple syrup to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan butter*
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of black salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the tart pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Chuck all the flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt into the food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients until you get a moist, moldable mixture.
- Firmly press the doughy mixture into the bottom and sides of a tart tin.
- Pop the pan into the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes (or until the crust turns golden brown).
- Let the tart cool for a few minutes in the tart tin. Gently transfer the tart to a wire rack and let it cool.
- Pour all ingredients to a medium-sized pot. Stir well to remove any lumps.
- Let the mixture cook at medium/high heat.
- Stir frequently to ensure that the ingredients blend well.
- A curd layer will start forming in the bottom. Whisk the mixture when you notice this to get a silky smooth curd. Stir in brief intervals until the filling thickens.
- Reduce the heat and continue whisking till you get a consistent texture (Approx 6-7 minutes).
- Pour cooked curd onto the crust.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours (or until set).
*Optional for extra richness.
Keywords: Vegan tart, creamy vegan custard tart, vegan custard tart, Vanilla custard tart with pineberries, vegan tart, Pineberry tart, Vegan Pineberry tart