The arrival of spring in Dubai is marked by hot days and a wide variety of vibrant and fresh fruits in the market. I am blessed to live in a city where we can enjoy nature’s bounties almost all-year-round.
As temperatures soar, I like to fiddle with desserts to beat the heat. This is why I was determined to whip up a no-bake treat, packed a flavorsome and refreshing punch. My fruit basket inspired me to create these beautiful bite-sized slices for e evening treat.
So, what is hidden inside this tasty treat?
The terrific trio of creamy coconut, zesty lemons, and sweet mangos gives this dessert an exotic twist. It is infused with an all-vegan base so it also appeals to all health conscious folks!
Each bite of this tropical slice can transport you to a bright and sunny place, somewhere magical and far away from the chaos of this concrete jungle.
These tropical squares will make you feel as if you are sipping a refreshing cocktail but in an edible jelly-form that makes it much more fun! You can add more colors to these squares by swapping tropical fruits with other favorites such as berries!
Please do tag your social media posts with @joufulhomecooking or use #joyfulhomecooking in your caption. That way, I can keep track and share tips with my favorite followers.Print
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 9 1x
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup GF rolled oats
- 3 tbsp. toasted coconut
- 2 pitted Mejdool dates
- 2–3 tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
White chocolate layer:
- 400ml full fat coconut cream
- 50g non-dairy white chocolate
- 2 tsp. agar-agar powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. cane sugar
- 1 tsp. agar-agar powder
- 2 cups small fruit pieces (mango and kiwi)
- Prepare a loaf pan by lining it with baking paper.
- Chuck the crust ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until they turn into sticky dough.
- Shift the mixture into the pan and gently press it to form a thin crust layer.
- Set it aside.
White chocolate layer:
- Add chocolate with coconut cream to a saucepan and mix to create a silky-smooth ganache.
- Let the ganache simmer and boil over low heat before adding agar.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer as you continue stirring.
- Keep the stove on till the agar dissolves (for approx. 2 min).
- Slowly pour the mixture onto the crust.
- Pop it in the fridge to set.
- Mix lemon juice and agar in a small pot. Whisk till you remove all lumps.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to boil. Stir vigorously (maximum 1 min.).
- Take a spoonful of the mixture to test for agar particles. Continue whisking till the agar dissolves.*
- Add sugar and continue mixing to remove lumps.
- Pour ¼ inch of the jelly mixture over the coconut cream layer.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped fruits on top.
- Work quickly before the agar sets, ensuring that the colorful fruits get distributed evenly.
- Pour the remaining mixture on top of the fruits.
- Let your fruity squares chill for a few hours.
- Slice & serve!
When working with acidic liquids such as fruit juices, do not simmer the liquid any longer than necessary. Simmering agar agar in an acidic liquid for a long time will break it down and it will not set.