Some parts of the world might be slipping into the autumn season, but it’s (almost) always sunny in Dubai.
It’s why longing for a cool glass of Margarita or refreshing slice of key lime pie doesn’t seem amiss in October.
I didn’t have the right ingredients to satisfy my cravings with only one lime at hand and a handful of pantry items. So I Joycified my baking plan by whipping up this tasty treat.
My eye-catching cookies replicate a plateful of sliced limes. Only they’re sweeter, cuter, and less bitter than the real citrus.
They give your party a wacky twist when you have guests over for a family BBQ party or a soiree with friends.
So what’s inside these citrus-like cookies?
They get a zesty kick from the lime and mild sweetness from cane sugar. I sprinkled in some matcha for the right color and a healthy boost of antioxidants. The egg holds everything together, while the sanding sugar gives it a realistic look.
One bite of this crispy sweet and tangy cookie will transport you to a tropical beach.Print
- Prep Time: 20 MINS
- Cook Time: 8 MINS
- Total Time: 28 MINS + 2 HOURS CHILL TIME
- Yield: 15 1x
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 lime, zest
- ½ cup of plant-based butter, cold
- ½ cup cane sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 egg
- Green sanding sugar
- First, beat butter, sugar, and egg on a medium speed with an electric mixer. Add in lime zest and mix until combined.
- Mix in sifted flour and salt. Beat batter till it turns into a soft dough that doesn’t stick to your fingers.
- Roll the cookie dough into a ball shape with your hands.
- Pull out 1/3 dough, plastic wrap it, and then chill it for 15 minutes.
- Add matcha powder to the remaining 2/3 bowl. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Dust your countertop with flour and roll the 1/3 dough ball into a rectangle. Place matcha dough on the plain dough.
- Roll the plain dough in a single layer around the matcha dough to form a log. Remove excess.
- Coat the log with sanding sugar until it’s completely covered. Plastic wrap your dough pop it in the freezer.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours until they are semi-solid.*
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prep cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Slice dough into 1/4-inch-thick circles and make segments with a knife. Avoid cutting all the way through.
- Pop it in the oven to bake. (6-8 minutes or until done)
- Shift it to the wire rack after letting the baked cookies rest in the sheet for a few minutes.
*They slice more easily
Keywords: Zesty Lime Cookies, Lime Cookies, Lime Shaped Cookies, Lime Zest, Lime Extract, Lime Zest, Key Lime Cookies, Zesty Lime Shortbread Cookies